The fence behind the blue narrowboat is the northern navigable limit of the Lancaster Canal. It originally rose 62' (19 m) at the locks here and continued for a further 18 miles (30 km) to Kendal, but the Transport Act of 1955 closed that section, and the trees in the background of this image mask a road bridge over the motorway - working canals have been superceded.
This is an utterly mundane and hence rather sad scene, with neither commemoration nor even acknowledgement of the role of Tewitfield in British industrial heritage 1772-1955.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2004|