According to local legend, after the execution of the Pendle Witches in 1612, their bodies were refused burial in the town cemetery, so were interred in the old Quaker cemetery, behind this gate.
A slight problem is that the Quaker movement wasn't founded until at least forty years later. It is likely that this site, just outside the old city boundary, was a burial ground for executed heretics and others not deemed worthy of burial in consecrated ground, and that the same land was later bought by the Society of Friends.
The quiet garden was opened to the public in 1955, and isn't even vaguely spooky.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2004|