When Dolphin Holme Mill first opened in 1784, machinery designed for working cotton performed poorly with wool, and the mill closed in 1791 after the founders quarreled. However, improved machinery installed after 1795 brought such prosperity that the lower village was one of the first in the UK to receive gas lighting, in 1811. The gas lantern outside Derham House, once the mill manager's house, dates from this period. The three-storey building at the end of the terrace was the mill owner's house.
All structures in this image, including the bridge and even the garden wall beyond Woodcock Hall, are Grade II Listed, in a Conservation Area.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2008|