As mentioned, all but the 15th/16th Century tower was rebuilt in 1865 by the prominent local architect E.G. Paley.
It may seem odd that Caton's parish church is in the neighbouring village of Brookhouse, even though they're just about contiguous. This is because the ancient (pre-Roman) village was dwarfed by mill developments in the 17th Century, so when the County authorities split the sprawling settlement to assist the Post Office, the newer part (previously called 'Town End') received the 'Caton' name whilst the original core was renamed after Brookhouse Hall.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2004|