It's known that the church predates 1650, but owes its current, Grade II Listed, appearence to rebuilding projects in 1744, 1878 and 1915.
Presumably the later work was substantial, as Leck Church was merely a chapel whilst the Brontë sisters were at the School for Clergy Daughters in nearby Cowan Bridge from 1824; this explains why they attended church in Tunstall, over 3 km away.
The churchyard accommodates the graves of number of Clergy School pupils who died of 'fever' a short time after Charlotte Brontë left school. It's thought that the deaths (of girls the Brontës presumably knew) inspired that of Helen Burns, a character in Brontë's 'Jane Eyre', who contracts tuberculosis after being punished by having to walk around her schoolyard in heavy rain.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2007|