After the death of George Fishwick in 1864, Peter Ormrod, the primary landowner in Scorton, bought the cotton mill and therefore also became the primary local employer. After nine years of construction, he moved into his country house, Wyresdale Park, in 1865. Scorton's Anglican church was designed by Paley & Austin and built in 1879, funded by James Ormrod in memory of his brother. It's now Grade II Listed.
Note the unusual chequerboard pattern in the left (northern) wall of the tower, above the main (no – see the next image) entrance.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2006|