The original 16th Century building, developed by the Otways from an earlier pele tower, was extended in the early 19th Century and again in 1900. Following a major fire in the 1920s, it was rebuilt still larger; it may be at this point that the original hall was lost. The current appearence was finalised by remodelling in 1989. It's not clear from this photo, but the overall result is the jumble its history suggests.
The green ridge rising out of the right of the image is Winder, the 473 m hill overlooking Sedbergh and significant in the history of the school – not least for punishment runs, apparently.
Fell Head dominates the background again.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2006|