On 13 June, 1652, George Fox, a founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), preached from this outcrop on Firbank Fell, adjacent to a chapel (since demolished). By his own account, over a thousand people heard him speak for three hours. Some consider this the point at which one man's conviction became a movement.
The plaque, clearer in the next image, commemorates the event, and is evidently an object of pilgrimage.
Incidentally, this isn't the summit of Firbank Fell, which is about a kilometre away.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2006|