The Listed building, designed by Austin & Paley, opened in 1916 as a men's institute. Billiards and a reading room were downstairs, whilst the upstairs room has a sprung floor for social occasions such as dances, to which women were admitted. Imagine that. Following renovation and extension in 1956, the whole building was open to all.
A further £1.3million refurbishment was completed last month, generally improving disabled access and facilities but also providing meeting rooms, an IT suite, a drop-in centre and even a gym. It still seems a remarkably small building for all that.
Note the plaque over the first-floor window, clearer in the next image.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2006|