Though this was never the home of a 'lord of the manor', there's a record of a large house on this site before 1779. The current building, built in 1831, was designed in a hybrid Elizabethan/Jacobean style for Thomas Greene (MP for Lancaster 1824-56) by George Webster, who had also designed a country house for William Wordsworth in 1826 and remodelled the nearby Thurland Castle in 1828. Hence, the central 'pele tower' is a 19th Century feature.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2006|