Undeniably impressive and vital to the development of the Cumbrian coast, the railway viaduct, which opened in 1857, prevented ships from reaching the port of Milnthorpe and caused the Kent estuary to silt up. The Ulverston & Lancaster Railway Company built a stone pier at Arnside (which had been Milnthorpe's customs post and out-port) in 1860 as an attempt to maintain deep water access at least as far upriver, but shipping companies went elsewhere. However, the railway itself brought passengers, and transformed Arnside into a minor seaside resort.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2006|