Having survived the Dissolution in 1536, it isn't mere hyperbole to call the Priory Church of St Mary & St Michael one of the finest examples of mediæval, monastic ecclesiastical buildings in northern England, and of international significance. It clearly dominates the tiny surrounding village; it is huge beyond proportion with its location – a very mediæval trait.
Conversely, from here on the outskirts of Cartmel village (the Headless Cross road junction) one can see that the tower is rather small relative to the overall building. This is, in part, because of its unusual structure.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|