The Cawthorne family established the first Wyresdale estate by enclosing the moors and improving large areas of land. One of their projects was the school, founded by William Cawthorne in 1674 to provide a free education to local children – quite a novelty for the time. The existing building dates from about 1892, but it's still part-funded by Cawthorne's endowment.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|