A market town since 1310, and a stop for 18th Century post/passenger coaches travelling from London to Edinburgh, Garstang was bypassed by the Lancaster-Preston railway in 1840, so escaped significant redevelopment. The main street remains narrow (a larger road skirts the town) and acts as a spine linking numerous narrow alleys, or 'weinds'.
The clock tower in the background identifies the old (16th Century) town hall, rebuilt in ~1940.
The banners and bunting were in preparation for the Garstang Children's Festival.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|