From this angle, the Hall certainly looks Tudor, most of the current building having been constructed between 1550 and 1595, though this courtyard actually dates from 1542. There's been a manor house on the site for far longer; Borwick Hall was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 and is centred on a 14th Century pele tower.
Most of the (genuine, not reproduction!) Elizabethan external details and the Baronial Hall (added in 1595) were commissioned by the Bindloss family, Kendal cloth merchants who, in 1651, sheltered Charles II after he had been crowned King of Scotland.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|