For decades, visitors crossing Skerton Bridge to the south bank of the River Lune have been met by an impressive façade. Kingsway Municipal Baths and Bus Garage were built in 1938 to match the adjacent Bridge Houses (a Georgian toll house, inn and outbuildings). The buildings themselves have been derelict since the early 1990s, so are finally being redeveloped, primarily as retail units. However, the sandstone Kingsway façade is Grade II Listed (the Bridge Houses are Grade II* Listed) so has to be retained. This nest of scaffolding cradles the temporarily-unsupported wall during demolition and rebuilding behind.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|