This station, adjacent to Halton's single-track road bridge and weir opened in 1849 as part of the 'Little' North Western Railway from Lancaster to Wennington (later extended to Clapham, and hence to Leeds). A passing train sparked a fire which destroyed the station in 1907, so it was rebuilt in brick. The line closed to passengers in 1966 in rationalisation of the national (and by then nationalised) rail network; it closed completely two years later. Obviously, the platform and station building have been preserved, alongside a goods shed. The Lune Cycleway follows the trackbed.
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|