The stone tower was built as one of a pair of lighthouses in 1847. As at Fleetwood, vessels lining up the lower (8 m) offshore light with the higher (16 m) inland light would find the main deep water channel at the mouth of the River Lune. The same family acted as keepers for almost a century, but the 'Plover Scar Range Front Light' was automated in 1951 and in 1954 the wooden Rear, or High Light, aka Cockersand Lighthouse, was demolished.
This view seems familiar, somehow....
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|