The spire is that of the 1887 Town Hall, overlooking Albert Square, though the steep nearer roof is that of the 1938 Extension.
The landmark circular building is the Central Library, designed by E.V. Harris (who went straight on to design the Town Hall Extension) and built 1930-1934. It's one of the largest libraries in the UK, outside London. There's an obvious reference to Rome's Pantheon, but this is actually a steel-frame building merely clad in Portland limestone.
The lion in the right foreground is a corner of The Midland Hotel.
Note the red postbox and black taxi - very English....
|Site Home||Tull Tour History||Annotated Passion Play||The Blog|
|© NRT, 2005|