6 November, 2006
Grr. Neil's posted another meme questionnaire, so I'd better complete it. It's not as if these things are optional, after all.
1. Explain what ended your last relationship?
Miscommunication and perceived lack of commitment.
2. When was the last time you shaved?
2000, and I mean the year, not 8 pm.
I do trim my beard, roughly weekly. That's trimmed roughly, weekly.
3. What were you doing this morning at 8 am?
Either I was putting a bag of rubbish out for collection or I was in the shower.
4. What were you doing 15 minutes ago?
Adding a '2007' page to the Jethro Tull Tour History, following the announcement that the remnants of the band are to tour again in the Spring. The amendment was a fairly onerous task, as it's a static site, maintained manually.
5. Are you any good at math?
And no, not remotely. Barely numerate, really.
6. Your prom night? what about?
Didn't exist. That tradition isn't practiced in the UK, or wasn't when I was of the appropriate age.
7. Do you have any famous ancestors?
Not to my knowledge.
8. Have you had to take a loan out for school?
School-level education is state-funded in the UK, and schoolchildren tend to live with their parents.
If by 'school' you mean university, no. The Student Loans system was introduced just after I graduated, and I subsisted on a standard overdraft whilst a postgrad.
9. Do you know the words to the song on your MySpace profile?
I neither have nor wish to have a song on my MySpace profile. I only have a MySpace account as a means of attracting potential traffic to this main site.
10. Last thing received in the mail?
A gas bill, I think.
11. How many different beverages have you had today?
Different? Two: orange juice and tea. Lots of tea.
12. Do you ever leave messages on people’s answering machine?
Er, yes. What do other people use them for?
13. Who did you lose your CONCERT virginity to?
I don't remember.
14. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach?
As I've mentioned, I dislike my name, and have issues with the concept of a named self, so that'd be a 'no'.
15. What’s the most painful dental procedure you’ve had?
A dentist fumbled an extraction when I was seven; he gave me insufficient anaesthetic and broke the tooth. My father pulled the dentist off me when the screams got too bad....
My father also promised to buy me something as a reward/compensation. I asked for a Fisher Price playset (I don't remember which). I'm still waiting.
16. What is out your back door?
An entire scary world.
More immediately, a large evergreen bush which has rather outgrown its space.
17. Any plans for Friday night?
Ordinarily, no, but I'm almost certain I'll be in Manchester this Friday, for the Opeth concert.
18. Do you like what the ocean does to your hair?
I don't have a problem with it.
19. Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different popcorns?
I have never heard of "those big tins of 3 different popcorns". This is a rather US-centric questionnaire, isn't it?
20. Have you ever been to a planetarium?
On a number of occasions.
21. Do you re-use towels after you shower?
No, I either bury them or sell them on eBay.
22. Some things you are excited about?
23. What is your favorite flavor of jelly?
That's 'jello' to Americans, not seedless fruit preserve (which is 'jam' in the UK).
24. Describe your keychain(s)?
I have five keys on a plain ring. No fob.
25. Where do you keep your change?
My front right trouser pocket.
26. When was the last time you spoke in front of a large group of people?
Twenty or so: about a fortnight ago, at a College management meeting.
Two hundred or so: in the mid-Nineties, at a geomorphology conference.
27. What kind of winter coat do you own?
An ankle-length (which wasn't easy to find considering I'm 6'1" ) charcoal wool overcoat and two walking jackets.
28. What was the weather like on your graduation day?
That was over thirteen years ago... I'm almost certain it was dry and sunny.
29. Do you sleep with the door to your room open or closed?
Open, except on cold nights.